Code of Conduct
McCarter Theatre Center stands firmly against racism, hatred, bigotry, and discrimination. We welcome EVERYONE to join us in fostering a community of respect, kindness, and inclusion.
It is our goal at McCarter Theatre Center to provide a welcoming, safe and enjoyable experience for all who enter our venues whether as a student, patron, guest artist, or staff member.
We require all guests, students, artists, and staff to be respectful of the venue property.
- Be courteous of everyone. We will not tolerate intentionally unruly or disruptive behavior prior to, during, or after performances.
- Turn off cell phones or set them to silent mode and refrain from text messaging and using cell phones as a light source during an event (except when using accessibility technology).
- Taking photographs and using recording devices is not permitted at any performance.
- Refrain from occupying a seat or remaining in an area for which they do not possess a valid ticket. Everyone must be able to provide their ticket upon request by a Front of House staff member.
- Avoid blocking the aisles and the view of other guests within the theater.
- Never stand on the theater seats (children included).
- Abstain from using foul/offensive language and obscene gestures, fighting, throwing objects, and engaging in other behavior detrimental to the safety and enjoyment of everyone.
- Drink alcoholic beverages responsibly.
- Utilize the designated external smoking areas including the use of e-cigarettes and vaping.
- Please do not interfere with the event, the artists, or the staff in any way during and after a performance.
- We encourage everyone to report inappropriate or offensive behavior to an usher, House Manager, or McCarter management. Please note: Everyone, including law enforcement personnel not present in an official capacity, is prohibited from bringing weapons into the theater venues. Weapons include, but are not limited to, firearms, explosives, stun guns, handcuffs, brass knuckles, sticks, clubs, batons, martial arts instruments, pepper spray, tear gas, knives, and glass items. Anyone found in possession of the above-mentioned items will be asked to remove the item from the venue or dispose of it. Patrons who refuse to comply will be ejected without a ticket refund. Patrons who violate the Code of Conduct may be subject to ejection without a ticket refund and, to the extent their conduct constitutes a violation of law, may be subject to arrest