McCarter is a barrier-free building and we seek to make our work available to all with ease and dignity. We have programs, facilities and services to provide support and ensure you have a spectacular experience. Please see below for a description of the supports we offer.
Winner for the 2012 Sustainer Award by the New Jersey Cultural Access Network, McCarter continually strives to provide an inclusive environment for all attendees.
AMERICAN SIGN LANGUAGE (ASL)
A team of certified ASL interpreters provide a sign language-interpreted performance in addition to a pre-show overview of the play. One American Sign Language interpreted performance is scheduled for each Theater Series production.
AUDIO DESCRIPTION (AD)
Listen through an ear piece as trained audio describers provide a live description of key visual elements in the play without interfering with dialogue. One audio-described performance is scheduled for each Theater Series production.
OPEN CAPTIONING (OC)
Spoken dialogue scrolls across a digital screen as the action occurs.
RELAXED PERFORMANCES (RP)
A relaxed performance is adapted to provide a safe and relaxed environment for individuals with autism, learning differences, or other sensory and communication needs.
Our theatres offer wireless radio frequency hearing assistance receivers. Headphones are provided free of charge but guests are welcome to bring their own. Hearing aids equipped with t-coil technology can be synched for better sound quality.
WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBILITY AND MOBILITY
Wheelchair seating in available in both theaters. Please request this seating option when you purchase your tickets. Companion seats are also available.
SPECIAL ACCESS PARKING
Disabled parking is available on a first come, first-served basis to those displaying official license plates or placards. For performances in the Matthews Theatre, please speak with the attendant in the circle driveway. For Berlind Theatre performances, there will be a select number of bagged parking meters in front of the entrance.
Braille and large print programs are available for all Theater Series performances upon request.
Held 90 minutes before each Audio Described/ASL performance, Sensory Seminars give patrons the opportunity to walk through the set, touch set pieces, feel costume textures, and handle key props. RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Please email Access Coordinator Janet Dickson at email@example.com for details.
For additional information or if you need an accommodation not mentioned here, please call the Ticket Office at 609.258.2787.
On select dates during each production in our Theater Series, we offer a variety of community services for an all-inclusive reduced price of $25 per ticket.
TURNING OFF THE MORNING NEWS
- OC - Saturday, May 26 (2pm)
- AD - Saturday, June 2 (2pm)
- ASL - Saturday, June 2 (2pm)
THE AGE OF INNOCENCE
- OC - Saturday, September 29 (2pm)
- AD - Saturday, October 6 (2pm)
- ASL - Saturday, October 6 (2pm)
- OC - Saturday, October 20 (2pm)
- AD - Saturday, October 27 (2pm)
- ASL - Saturday, October 27 (2pm)
- OC - Saturday, February 2, 2019 (2pm)
- AD - Saturday, February 9, 2019 (2pm)
- ASL - Saturday, February 9, 2019 (2pm)
A CHRISTMAS CAROL
- OC - Sunday, December 16 (1pm)
- AD - Saturday, December 15 (2pm)
- ASL - Saturday, December 15 (2pm)
THE GODS OF COMEDY
- OC - Saturday, March 23, 2019 (2pm)
- AD - Saturday, March 30 2019 (2pm)
- ASL - Saturday, March 30 2019 (2pm)
- OC - Saturday, May 25, 2019 (2pm)
- AD - Saturday, June 1, 2019 (2pm)
- ASL - Saturday, June 1, 2019 (2pm)