Jessica Lang Dance
Tesseracts of Time (and other works)
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 16, 2018
Venue Matthews Theatre
Each work feels unique. Between the visually rich dancing and striking use of lighting, we seem to enter new realms with each dance. Lang’s dancers perform with an easy, unaffected clarity.
The Boston Globe
A master of visual composition, Jessica Lang has quickly emerged as one of the most important choreographers of her generation. A former Tharp dancer, Lang’s works extend the boundaries of the dancing body through architectural decor, and a prime example is Tesseracts of Time, her collaboration with Steven Holl, the architect of Princeton University’s Lewis Arts complex. Lang’s McCarter program will also include Thousand Yard Stare, which celebrates the pride, honor, and searing loss experienced by military veterans.
Program includes four pieces choreographed by Jessica Lang:
- Solo Bach (2008) with music by Johann Sebastian Bach, featuring Lara St. John on the violin.
- Sweet Silent Thought (2016) with an original score by Jakub Ciupinski, inspired by Shakespeare’s sonnets.
- Thousand Yard Stare (2016) with music by Ludwig van Beethoven and performed with support from the Takás Quartet. Movingly celebrates the pride, honor, and searing loss experienced by military veterans.
- The Calling (excerpt from Splendid Isolation II) (2006) with music by Trio Mediaeval and original lighting by Al Crawford.
- Tesseracts of Time (2015), a concept created in collaboration with architect Steven Holl, which explores Holl’s basic belief of the relationship of architecture to the ground: Under the ground, In the ground, On the ground and Over the ground.
As of March 1, the shuttle between the train station and McCarter is no longer running.
The Dinky train service from Princeton Junction to Princeton is suspended until Spring 2019. NJ Transit is providing substitute bus service. Buses will depart Princeton station 15 minutes prior to the scheduled train departure time. View updated bus schedule.
OTHER WAYS TO JOIN US
PHOTOS & VIDEO
Choreographer Jessica Lang and architect Steven Holl talk about their collaboration on Tesseracts of Time, which will be presented at McCarter on Friday, November 16, 2018.
JLD Celebrates 2017
The 2018-2019 Dance Series is sponsored by the Jerome Robbins Foundation.